A Leader’s Guide to The Fog of War
HAVE YOU SAID THIS IN THE PAST SIX-MONTHS?
Business, Entrepreneurship, Leadership, and Management. All of these disciplines operate in the realm of uncertainty. There’s always one thing or another that seems to happen to screw up the plan or set us back. The combination of all these factors that delay and distract us manifest in a FOG of uncertainty. As leaders, we need to develop a judgement that will help us navigate through it. Moreover, we must develop skills and competencies that help our team do the same! This is not easy… The Fog of War warps our perceptions:
“All action takes place, so to speak, in a kind of twilight which, like fog or moonlight, often tends to make things seem grotesque and larger than they really are.”
LET’S GET SERIOUS about leadership, for a second.
Anyone working with another person needs it, especially when the Fog of War begins to seep in! Money or reputations are on the line. Depending on where you are in life, your needs and responsibilities to navigate thru it differ:
- AS A SMALL BUSINESS LEADER OR OWNER, you need people who can think and act on their own, especially when the Fog blocks our vision! We must develop people who can be counted on to do what needs to be done, without you being there.
- AS AN ENTREPRENEUR, you need to learn how to manage the “whole” picture. When the fog sweeps in, we too often go to only what we know, and stick to our specialty or area of interest. We must learn to mutually support another, no matter the area. You must also be able to develop your team to do the same thing. (This is definitely not an easy task!)
- AS AN EMERGING LEADER IN CORPORATE AMERICA, you must build your brand as a leader. Being able to lead others thru the Fog of War will definitely help you with this. You must exceed expectations and demonstrate your competency and reliability during uncertainty – and you must do it while competing against others who are doing the same, fairly or unfairly. One more thing: you must be able to make your boss a success while being able to take credit.
Start thinking and acting like a senior executive or owner.
There are SO MANY OBSTACLES to developing into leaders who can successfully lead thru the Fog of War. The biggest one is modern leadership education. To be blunt, so much of it is not helping you.
- So much literature and resources are pure advocacy platforms. They push a religious or political viewpoint rather than teaching you HOW to manage people in pursuit of a larger goal. CONSIDER ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE – LEADERSHIP IS ABOUT DRIVING VALUE. This means simultaneously growing your business, your people, and of course, YOU.
- So much leadership literature is one-off subjects. You constantly here: “Communicate this way and you’ll be successful” or “Treat people that way and your good-to-go.” This one-off stuff needs to cease! YOU NEED A SYSTEMATIC APPROACH to be successful as a leader. It should tie thinking, communication, planning and execution all together, into one “whole.”
- So much leadership literature is predominantly people-centric. YOU. AND YOUR PEOPLE, NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN: BEING MISSION-CENTRIC! Leaders exist to get a job done. Period. Become a priest or a social worker if you think your job is to be a shepherd of others. Business owners, bosses, and clients/customers expect grown-ups with a real sense of the world and what needs to happen.
- So many leadership authors and experts are rebranding old ideas and slogans, making them appear new and fresh. GAIN A THOROUGH, REASTIC INSIGHT. We do that by introducing other sides of leadership, spanning the public sector to the private sector. Save your time and money – and preserve your patience – by learning critical areas of leadership. Develop the means of differentiating people, personalities, systems and processes. Learn to see what is essential among the everyday distractions and “noise.” Find out how to measure progress, qualitatively. Adopt methodologies in increase the effectiveness of your communication and planning skills.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, so much leadership literature today is about leadership ONLY. BUT YOU CAN’T DIVORCE LEADERSHIP FROM STRATEGY. Both are interrelated and dependent on one another. Learn them both, especially strategy – the art and science of combining means and ends. And, we won’t focus on making Fortune 500 strategies – we’ll discuss it at the small business level first. Gain insights and tools that can be implemented immediately and scaled to larger organizations and teams.
Which one are you?
AN EMERGING LEADER IN CORPORATE AMERICA:
“How in the hell is my boss in his position? Does he know something about the boss that can’t get him fired? I’m so much smarter than him, and I’m more effective. What the hell do I need to do to get forward?”
“I’m extremely good at what I do, yet [fill in the name] is getting promoted ahead of me. What the hell? What do I need to do to get the position – and the paycheck – I deserve?”
A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER:
“My company is doing awesome. I’m making a great paycheck, but I have no time. Instead of being a general, I’m acting like a sergeant in the trenches. I want to grow the company but there is no way I can do it like this.”
“I’ve been playing it by ear for so long. I think I know what to do to lead my organization, but I don’t know what I don’t know. Is there some formula I need to follow, or something special I need to do?”
AN ENTREPRENEUR IN THE HUSTLE:
“My idea is great, I know what I need to do to make this a success but I have so much do and i’m wearing so many different hats, I have no clue where to start.”
“We’re generating revenue, I think, but not enough and I can’t keep up with this pace by myself and continue to grow. I’m working my ass off while running in circles. I need be working on my business not in it or else i’ll be hitting my head on the ceiling before I know it.”
DON’T LET THE FOG OF WAR PREVENT YOUR BUSINESS, OR YOUR CAREER,
FROM WINNING THE BATTLE FOR SUCCESS.
Hi, I’m Kevin Black. Chances are we haven’t met; you’re probably not a Fortune 500 executive that I usually work with. No, you’re more likely an emerging leader in Corporate America, a small biz owner, or an entrepreneur. Welcome!
I’m doing something different than other consultants do: I’m offering my knowledge, experience and expertise TO YOU, the leader with SO MUCH POTENTIAL. I want to help you accelerate your growth and raise your professional value. Let me help you master the critical competencies that will differentiate you from others, BIG TIME. Let me help you overcome the obstacles that trip up so many others.
This is your opportunity to gain a rare education, usually accessible only for billion-dollar companies. Let me help you grow as a leader. Gain an education and insights that will help you excel in your field, in your business, and even in your life!
Take this easy, first-step forward! Let’s develop your competitive edge, now!
IN THIS COURSE
LEARN HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY NAVIGATE THRU
THE FOG OF WAR
Learn how to drive results, plan and strategize better than your peers or boss!
Learn how to better drive results, without reading thousands of books, listening to talking-heads or waiting for years of experiences to come.”
The Fog of War Course Includes
Over 45 minutes of interactive video! It covers three major areas a leader must learn and grasp to overcome the challenges of the Fog of War. Participate in online quizzes and download PDF learning resources to support your learning. This new, exciting course is designed to help you QUICKLY DEVELOP your leadership know-how and competencies with the simple goal: help your business and/or your career accelerate to the next level.
- THINK. “Learn how to break down your business into its essential elements – elements that EVERYONE understands and can’t act upon. Learn how to strategize, to identify what is important and what to you should be focusing on.”
- COMMUNICATE. “Learn how to sell your STRENGTHS, as a leader and/or a business owner. Gain the knowledge to overcome objections, to win arguments and ultimately earn the resources you need to support you and your team.”
- EXECUTE. “Learn how to manage the one constant in business that freaks people out and trips ups the best of leaders: ‘the fog of war.’ Learn how to manage this natural negative force, along with the chaos that follows it. Gain access to tools to help you and your people accomplish your mission in the most constructive means, practical.”
PARTICIPATE IN WEBINARS
TO BETTER LEARN HOW TO NAVIGATE THRU
THE FOG OF WAR
($225 VALUE per WEBINAR)
Learn thru APPLICATION! Watch Kevin apply the course material in real-time!
Ask questions! Volunteer examples of the Fog of War in your life or business. Invite Kevin to work on them right in front of you!
Use these webinars to DEEPEN and ADVANCE your knowledge thru practical application.
Choose an area you want to focus on! There are three, 45-minute webinars PER SECTION in the Fog of War.
- THINKING IN ESSENTIALS. Watch Kevin dive-deep into the art of critical and strategic thinking. Gain an insight into how to reduce challenges, projects and people into their essential components. Gain greater clarity in decision-making that can make ALL the difference between efficient versus costly success.
- PURPOSEFUL COMMUNICATION. Let Kevin educate you on how to relieve the undo burden by taking on so much work – work that your teammates or peers should be doing! Learn the art and science of making communication effective and efficient!
- CULTURE OF SUCCESS. Learn from Kevin how to cultivate a team that is effective and durable from FRICTION. Gain insights and learn new methods to ensure your people WANT to act and take the initiative – in other words, people who will make your life EASIER AS A LEADER.
GROW YOUR NETWORK
BY BEFRIENDING OTHER EMERGING LEADERS
IN OUR EXCLUSIVE FACEBOOK GROUP
Get the RARE opportunity to expand your knowledge of other businesses, industries and personalities by participating in our FACEBOOK group.
Boost your professional network by join a community of other like-minded professionals. This benefit has several deliverables:
- Community Forum. “Stay engaged with other like-minded leaders. Learn of new methods, tools and resources, currently being employed, that can support you and your team or business.”
- Develop relationships. “Meet people who might make a difference in your life. Even gain potential partnerships!”
- Make impressions! “Show off your knowledge and perspective! Potentially find new opportunities with this body of professionals.”
FINALLY, GAIN ACCESS TO THE RESOURCES SECTION
FIND RARE INSIGHTS AND ASSESSMENTS
TO BOOST YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND IMAGE
Develop your mind and the skill-sets to adapt to any situation in the Fog of War.
Gain your competitive edge in thought and even appearance! The RESOURCES SECTION contains downloadable PDFs, video links and assessments of people, books, and ideas pertaining to leadership and strategy. The section is divided into:
- COMPETENCIES. “Critical thinking, strategic thinking, effective communication, argument, operational planning, strategic planning, and leadership in execution..”
- HISTORY. “Biographies of leaders, decision-making and design in times of conflict, and management of personalities under stress.”
- ENTERTAINMENT. “Movies, books and other areas of entertainment that provide real value in leadership development.”
What others have said about Kevin:
“My team at LifeLock expanded quickly to match the company growth and demand for results. Without Kevin showing us the importance of proper organizational alignment, we wouldn’t have been able to meet our overall goals. I had a highly-effective team at LifeLock and working with Kevin fine-tuned our performance. The team became more efficient, turning a 3X ROI into a 5X ROI.”
“Kevin was responsible for us bringing in the single biggest contract we’ve ever had in fifteen years of our business. He’s been a great source of support!”
“Kevin’s project management work was responsible for an annual savings of over $300,000 with over 5,000 training hours for our contact center. His work received praise from senior leadership here and in Maryland.”
“This [Argument course – coming soon!] was probably the most beneficial course I ever purchased for my organization. It is an outstanding approach to developing very key communication skills to enhance your influence both at work and at home.”
“While serving as an interim CFO for one of my clients, I had the opportunity to work with the [Kevin’s strategy] platform… As a ‘C’ suite executive, I have been developing and executing strategic plans for more than two decades…none [like this program] provided the clarity or detail across all levels of the organization to ensure our goals were achieved…Their unique approach and training are one of a kind. And I would recommend them to any organization that is positioning for accelerated growth.”